Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Logos5 Youth Convention: Voice Your Thoughts...


Logos5 Grand Rapids, the Midwest Regional Wesleyan Youth Convention kicked off on Dec. 28 and ended with high energy, emotional convictions, and a challenge to over 2000 students to read the Bible everyday during the 2006 year. Not only were the students challenged to read the Word, but also the youth pastors/leaders were given resources to help guide and lead their students through this amazing endeavor. Overall, the response was tremendous. Many felt that the energetic and challenging rallies mixed with the in depth and challenging seminars brought continuity to the overall purpose of Logos5. Personally, through all aspects of the convention (rallies, seminars, small group time, and so forth) I sensed that students and adults were challenged to seek His Word, challenged to ask the right questions, and realize that they must know His Word in times of pluralism and secularism.
However, as the convention met its purpose, like with other ministries and events, there are always places to improve. Therefore, what are your thoughts? What bands, speakers, or things should we add/change to the next Wesleyan Youth Convention? What about activities, seminars, and the like…any other ideas, additions, or critiques?

I look forward to your constructive criticism, insights, and testimonies.

Also, check out http://www.logos05.com/ for further discussion!

7 comments:

Summers said...

Great thoughts Melissa...and I appreciate your honesty about the worship and prayer room.
Thanks for the note. Hopefully you'll be able to experience the convention as a leader in 2007 :)

-J-

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Only 2000? Wasn't there 3000+ at Chicago? Why the decline in only 4 years? That can't be good

Summers said...

Hey buddy...I guess it is the Colts vs. the Steelers. What do you think, will the Colts crush them? Will you be in Indy next Sunday?
As for Logos-GR numbers, there was a decline of 400 (2300 in GR and 2700 in Chicago). In my opinion, there a number of reasons for the decline (promotion/marketing, certain youth pastors/leaders not getting involved, HQ turnover, and so forth).
However, overall, I believe the purpose and vision will transcend through the students and youth groups, bringing continuity throughout the Wesleyan youth.
BUT, we'll see the true results with the next convention in 2007...time will tell!

-J-

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Yeah it's Colts/Steeler's II hopefully the results will be the same, I won't be in Indy, I couldn't get tickets..

400 decline, much better than 1000, I say it's cause it was in Grand Rapids I mean come on Orlando, Boston, Denver and Grand Rapids? I know Grand Rapids is a really cool city but who wants to tell their friends "Hey I'm going to Grand Rapids for Christmas break!!" The next big one should be in NYC that would rock.. peace

Kevin Wright said...

Teens from my dad's church loved Logos. They thought the speakers were great (especially the woman from Wycliffe) and they enjoyed most of the music (what Melissa said about SLS slowing it down a little is true). The teens really liked the seminars as well. I think the "hands on" missions projects was also a great and innovative way of doing a convetion. Any word on the location of the next convention?

Tim Guptill said...

Jeremy & Andrea,

I wanted to invite you to a Young Adult Ministry Think Tank here @ HQ on February 02, from 10-3.

I would really love to have your input as we grapple with this ministry for the denomination.

You can contact me @ guptillt@wesleyan.org

Tim

tonymyles said...

I heard good things about Logos, but I think the decline in numbers is due to being out of the habit of conventions. The national one a couple of years ago was on one side of the country, negating many churches from making the trip (versus a more centralized location). I'm sure that was a factor.